Wednesday, January 14, 2009

surprises

they can be nice sometimes.

Like tonight, when I walked in the house from teaching preschool choir. I got to the door and there was a peice of folded up paper with my name on it. Of course this has my moms name written all over it, but I still have no idea what its about. The top declares it the "Magical Mystery Tour II" (Magical Mystery Tour I being our youth choir missions trip). It just says that I'm not the only one to recieve the note, and that I need to pack warmly for three days. Most important, at the end, is states "NO QUESTIONS ASKED."

That is very hard for me; I immediately asked my mom if my employer knew I wouldn't be at work on Saturday...she wouldn't say anything, she just pointed to the last line. So who knows where I'll be tomorrow.

Some surprises are not so nice. Doctors tend to deliver the least fun surprises. Surprise! you have cancer. Surprise! you have 2 months to live. I remember another Wednesday afternoon a few months ago I came home to find one of my mom's friend's car in the driveway. Thinking at first that they were having tea or something of the sort, I walked in to find my mom in tears, and she sprung one of those awful surprises on me, "Taylor, Chelsea is gone."

Somehow, I don't feel like all the good surprises in life could possibly balance out the bad ones. Luckily we have a loving God who can fill in the spaces that bad surprises leave, and make us whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment